My Top 5 Biggest Issues With AG

Hey everyone! Today, I decided to try something different and do a more opinionated post! Tell me what you think of this post in the comments, so I can see if I should do more things like this! 

Anyways, these are my top 5 biggest issues with AG! They're not in any particular order, by the way.

1. Truly Me being for ages 6+

AG's quality is going down, but they're raising the doll's prices and saying they're for lower ages. They're just doing it to get more money, and it really bothers me. 

Also, if Truly Me is really aimed for six year olds, why does the mix and match line have crop tops?

2. Not enough diverse GOTYs

I was recently listening to an episode of The Dollcast, featuring LynnLife. She and Ally were talking about how it's really sad that AG had to release a whole new line (World By Us) just to make diverse dolls. Shouldn't they be doing that already? 

Plus, if you look at the GOTY line, every year they make a more diverse doll, the next year, they make a white one. In 2018, there was Luciana, who was Hispanic. The next year was Blaire, who literally has the lightest skin tone they make! (On a side note, she lives on a farm, so why doesn't she have a tan?) Anyways, 2020's GOTY was Joss, who had hearing loss, but in 2021, it was Kira, who's white. 

3. The Street Chic dolls being Truly Me

I never really liked the Street Chic dolls in the first place, but the fact that they are apparently Truly Me dolls bothers me even more. If Street Chic was it's own line of dolls and accessories, I still wouldn't buy the dolls, but they wouldn't bother me as much. 

The fact that they have their own meet outfits and accessories just makes them seem like they're not really Truly Me dolls. I also feel like if AG continues to make these dolls, it's really going to overshadow making more diverse Truly Me dolls.

4. Cubing historical dolls

AG is known for the historical dolls, but so many of the original ones have been cubed, and it's really sad. If they just retired dolls like Kit or Addy, they would still have some value and would at least be special, but because they're cubed, they're not going to be valuable second hand, and because they have no collection, they're not valuable new from American Girl either. 

5. Less options in the Create Your Own line

The CYO dolls are aimed for more experienced collectors, who are willing to spend $210 on a doll (like me . . . 😶). Recently, American Girl stopped making strawberry blonde hair and any style with bangs available for Create Your Owns. That hundreds of potential dolls that can't be made, and considering the line is aimed for people who will actually notice this, it just seems weird that they removed all these options. Also, I'd like to add that they replaced strawberry blonde hair, which is a common color, with pink, purple, and blue, which are not.

So, that's basically it for today! I do have other AG related issues that talk more about diversity, but I wanted to include other things too, so that's why they're not in here.

See you soon!

~Annabelle

Comments

  1. I agree with you. I'm sad that they have been cubing historical dolls, honestly the historical dolls were the whole reason I liked AG. So the fact that they are cubing of them is sad.

    I also agree with you also about the lack of diversity in the GOTYs. I also wish they had more disabled dolls. (I'm disabled, so I would love to see more dolls that are disabled). Like a doll with a prosthetic leg. Barbie has already made several dolls like that, so why can't AG?
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! In general, I feel like AG has more representation than Barbie, but I didn’t know about the prosthetic thing.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with all of these. AG's quality is really going down. I used to love buying from AG but now, I just like buying from eBay because it actually has quality and all the good outfits and accesories. I also wish they didn't change the Wellie Wishers outfits. They are just changing everything that was good. I'm really disapointed with AG.

    -Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have some Pleasant Company outfits and the quality is much better than it is now!

      Delete

Post a Comment

See you soon!

Popular Posts